Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lesson #3: Love Language - Quality Time

When Denise first started P1, she would call me EVERYDAY during recess-time. I guess it was the excitement of sharing her day with me and at the same time the sense of independence that excites her. Initially, being cost-conscious, I would asked her not to "waste" money to call me. But one day, I realised that my girl would one day grow up and perhaps the first person she calls would be her bf or bff....:p

Now, I would sound very enthusiastic whenever she calls and spend time chatting with her :) To date, she would still call me, either during recess time when she needs something or after school when reaches home!

According to Dr Gary Chapman, the 5 basic Love Languages are Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Gift-giving and Physical Touch.

My kids only know QUALITY TIME.

We can walk the malls, Toy R Us included, without having to buy any toys for them. The kids just enjoy spending time with the family. Often we are guilty of leaving them to watch their TV programs or play the "i"machines on their own. I started doing simple handicrafts with them or watch them do their favourite activities like paintings :)

I realised that the kids are just contented that we are involved.

Last weekend, Debbie was sick. I stayed home to look after her while JX brought Denise to church. After service, Denise called and excitedly told me that they went to Starbucks and Carrefour for some "Father and Daughter Time" :)


I do not want to complain and regret later why are they not close to me. Building relationship takes TIME and I want to build a strong relationship with my children while they are yet young. And while I am typing this, Deb is "pestering" me to play Wii with her. I got to go.... :)

Feel free to comment and share what are some of your favourite activites with your children!

No comments:

Post a Comment