Friday, January 13, 2012

Lesson #2: Keep Your Cool

School reopens and homework started to come in. Denise  always take the initiative to complete her homework for the day before I pick her from MIL's place. All I need to do is to check through them and do some corrections if there's any error.

It was my mistake to check through her homework on a Friday night at 10pm....when she was already sleepy. Found a few mistakes. Tried to explain to her but lost my cool when she couldn't answer a few simple questions...

Mistake #1: Don't do revision or homework when your child is tired and sleepy... (especially for my case)

Mistake #2: Don't be a gan-cheong spider, like me... (you have the weekend to go through the homework)

Mistake #3: Don't lose your cool!

I got upset and started to lecture her! C'mon! It's only the first week... Give her a break!

Finally, she completed her corrections and went to bed....

She said, "Mummy, when you scold me, you make me feel that I am not good enough." :(

I felt very bad and quickly repented (in my heart). I apologized for losing my cool; I knew I overdid it. Like what my Pastor taught me "Tact and tone go together" and "Right + Rude = Wrong".

I consoled myself that it's only the first week... I have another 51 weeks to do better :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder. I lose my cool too often and too unnecessarily. And my girl's only in K2!!!! =X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Welcome to the "club"! Maybe you can share how you keep your cool... I tried "breathe in breathe out", "drink water", "go toilet to cool down" etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope my mother was like this....she makes me feel like................

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I can share how I keep my cool, but I haven't been able to do so yet! =X

    ReplyDelete